|Care of base - Household hazards|
GOLDEN RULE: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Make sure you keep toxic products, indoor and outdoor plants and any other object that could be dangerous out of your pet's reach.
Here is a brief summary of possible "hazards" in different areas of the house.
IN THE HOUSE:
Many plants are toxic when ingested. You can refer to the following site for more info: www.aspca.org
Don't leave your pet unsupervised around a burning fireplace or a heater that is turned on; it could burn itself.
Don't let it play with plastic bags because it could choke.
Pick up all small objects that it could take in its mouth and swallow.
Put away paint, gasoline, oil, rat poison and any other chemical product.
Keep cleaning products out of reach since they can be toxic (bleach, Swiffer, WetJet, Mr. Clean, etc.).
Keep washer and dryer doors closed and before turning them on, make sure your pet is not in them!
Make sure your pet does not have access to beauty products (shampoo, sunscreen, nail polish remover, etc.) and medications.
Close the door of the storage shed securely in order to avoid accidents with tools and gardening products (fertilizers, pesticides, weed killers, etc.).
If possible, do not allow your pet to come in contact with your lawn or garden if treated with chemicals.
If you want to treat your cat against fleas, it is important to use a product that does not contain pyrethrines and/or permethrines (Zodiac for example) because these substances are toxic. They cause neurological problems that, unfortunately, can sometimes lead to your pet's death.